Recipe: Chilli beef tacos
This month I’m sharing my favourite taco recipes with you, and next up is my crispy chilli beef tacos.
I cook tacos A LOT so I thought I’d share my recipes with you. I’m no chef by any means, but just a keen home cook who loves spending time in the kitchen and trying new recipes.
This is a really simple recipe! It takes a little bit of time to make the chilli mix, but once this is ready the tacos can be made in less than ten minutes.
And I always make extra chilli mix and put it in the freezer so its ready to make a quick supper when you’re short on time.
The recipe makes 18 tacos, but I made 6 which was enough for two of us. And froze the extra chilli.
Here’s the recipe…
500g beef mince
1 Medium onion, diced
400g tinned toms
400g kidney beans
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp Hot Chilli powder
2 tsp Cumin
1.5 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Coriander
1 tsp Paprika
1 tbsp tomato puree
Sour cream (optional)
To make the chilli mix...
1. Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a pan on a medium heat, and add the diced onion along with a pinch of salt. Cook slowly for around 5-10 minutes, ensuring that the onions don’t burn. Add the mince and break this up with a spatula.
2. Once the meat has browned, add the garlic and spices, and mix well. Cook for a further couple of minutes, and then add the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree and kidney beans. Mix well.
3. Cover the pan, and simmer on low for around 20 minutes.
To make the tacos...
1. Put around 2 tbsp of grated cheese onto each taco, making sure that is on all only one one half of the taco. Add 2 tbsp of the beef mince on top of the cheese, and then sprinkle over around 1 tbsp cheese on top of this. Fold the tacos in half.
(The video above shows how I assembled the tacos.)
2. Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a frying pan, on a medium/hot heat. Add the tacos and fry for two minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy.
3. I served these with some mashed avocado mixed with tajin and diced tomato, and sour cream is a nice addition to balance out the heat of the chilli.